Monday, April 03, 2006

Worship... with a bang!

I love it when God turns up and has his own way.

Sunday morning, I was leading worship for our family healing service. All through sound check and rehearsal things didn't feel right, we weren't playing well together as a band and ...well it just didn't feel right. Anyway, started first song, and we were barely into it when bang, all the power to the sound and multimedia desk went dead. For a while I kept going cos my guitar amp was still working, but I soon realised what had happened. I proceeded to tell the church we had broken the sound system and went on a mission to the breaker box(which is in the hall next door which is currently a building site) meeting Dave Jeffs our head Deacon on the way who proceeded to tell me that everything tripped out when he unplugged a fan heater at the back of the church.

After pondering for a few minutes with Dave, Andy my electrician friend and a few guys from the sound team, I came to the conclusion that we needed to carry on with the service, power or no power. So after re-grouping with Alan and Liz quickly to work out what to do, I grabbed my acoustic guitar(which luckily was sitting in a corner at the back of the church) and started to lead the congregation. It was a really amazing time of worship, it was just really cool to be able to hear everyone's voices so loudly, and with no projection screens or anything for people to focus on, they really entered in. It just felt really natural and really right and like real genuine worship. I think God was trying to tell me and the church maybe that we soemtimes rely so much on technology and making things look and sound so good, that we forget what we're really doin which is worshipping God. We don't really need Plasma screens, projectors and big PA systems to worship him, we just need to come as we are.

Anyway, the service went really well, despite not getting the power back on. By the end of the worship as well as me with my guitar on the stage downstairs we also had cello, sax and a little percussion section goin on, the team pulled together really well. And I just really enjoyed leading worship, wish we could do every Sunday like that.

Anyway, I'm off to plan a prayer meeting for tomorrow. I also have to put together a video for Palm Sunday this week to the song Miracle Maker by delirious, but don't know when i will actually have time to do it. So your prayers for time and inspiration for that would be appreciated.

And wow look, I've blogged twice in the space of about 3 days!!!

I guess I'll be blogging again soon...

2 Comments:

Blogger Harriet said...

Perhaps you should. Perhaps one Sunday in every few months you could have a "back to basics" service, where you get rid of all the technology. I agree that sometimes our desire for technological wizardry can put up the barriers.

I remember our worship sessions in cell group where it was just you playing the guitar, and us all singing. I thought those were really honest sessions...

11:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the worship was awesome Easter Sunday...we all think YOU Rock and had the whole church rockin with you

8:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home