Friday, February 10, 2006

Airports and showing films...

So.... a few months ago (November to be precise) the airport card on my laptop decided it didn't want to recognise wireless networks anymore. It wasn't really a huge inconvenience, as I could still access the internet by plugging it straight in. But, as a good friend pointed out to me, I did spend a lot of money on my laptop and as it is still well within its warranty I should get it sent back and sorted out.

After numerous calls to Apple, and finally managing to get the message through to them that it wasn't a problem with my ISP, they said they would take it in to look at. Monday lunchtime they came to pick up the laptop and by Wednesday it was back with me with a new airport card fitted and me wireless and mobile once again. This has one great advantage which means I can surf the net from my garden, which is a bit chilly this time of year but is groovy in the summer. So hats off to the people at Apple.

On a more frustrated note I showed another film tonight. For those of you who don't know I've recently been trained up to do film projection at The Hat Factory. It started as being quite a fun thing to do, and obviously you get to see films for free! But more recently the novelty has worn off and things have started going wrong. It started at the beginning of January when I was testing a film, The Constant Gardener, and it jammed and snapped the film. It makes a horrible noise when this happens and it takes a while to sort out before you can start it again.

This was only a film test, so there was no audience in, and its happened several times since either when I've been testing, or lining up the film before the audience comes in, so it hasn't really mattered and I've had time to sort it out. But now I'm really worried its gonna happen while the audience is in and its made me really unconfident about showing films. The fustrating thing is I don't really have much control over it. When it happens, it doesn't seem to be a result of anything I do wrong or do differently, my boss says its just an old projector that really needs replacing or atleast servicing.

Anyway, this evening it did it again while I was setting the film up and I was so paranoid about it happening again that I spent the whole of the film showing praying and watching the platter and projector to see if it showed any signs of jamming again, I couldn't tell you what happened in the film. I found it really stressful, and those of you who know me well, know I dont get stressed easily. I'm not sure what to do, cos there's not much other tech work going at the moment so its a good way to get some extra money, but at the same time I don't really enjoy it anymore.

Your prayers and any words of wisdom would be much appreciated

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Aw, Joely...that's pretty rubbish..

How do the other film-shower-people (I assume there are others?) feel about it - does it affect them in the same way?

Is there any way of aquiring a different projector? I get that they're probably not the most common of things, but still!

Hope things improve, or that you manage to resolve it one way or t'other :o(

1:42 am  
Blogger Harriet said...

It sounds like you're feeling stressed because you don't have control over whether it breaks.

It could be that you just need to think differently - if you know that you have set up the film correctly then you know you have done your job. As you have no control over what happens next, you don't need to feel stressed about it - so don't!

Your responsibility comes in when the thing breaks again – do you feel confident in handling that situation? That’s when you regain control.

Worried about your audience? I’ve been to the cinema 3 times where the film has not run smoothly, and only one of those times did I end up not seeing the film. I can’t say I was that bothered about it – I just saw the film another time, plus it was a good anecdote for when I got home. They will forget it as fleetingly as they do so many other things in life.

As someone who can get very stressed I know how easy it is for me to type this, and how difficult it is for you to think differently. In general, having a sense of responsibility for your actions is good for stress levels, but sometimes we have to put these things into the hands of God. I suggest praying that you’ll be able to quickly handle any situation that arises - then you will be at your most empowered

10:23 am  
Blogger Holy Joely said...

Liz - The other "projectionists" don't seem that bothered about it, I think they've been doing it longer and are just used to it happening. Projectors don't come cheap and cos its the council I doubt we would be acquiring a new one anytime soon.

Harriet - I think what you said about thinking differently would help. When it does break now, I feel confident that I know what to do to sort out the problem, its just I still feel bad that its happened.

Ultimately you're right, that the best thing I can do is put it in God's hands and pray that I can do my job to the best of my ability.

8:15 pm  
Blogger Tom Wade said...

Joel, forget what the others say, I have a fool proof method of how to avoid any more strssful experiences. Simply acquire the DVD of what ever film you are showing, whack it in you newly fixed Laptop and connect it up to a projector. The simply direct this at the screen simple! (If its a recent film then ask Rita, she can get you all the most recent films - not sure how legal this is)

Simple!

9:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home